- When traveling, never transport your laptop in checked luggage. Carry it on with you, and keep an eye on it at airport security.
- Apply distinctive paint markings to make your laptop unique and easily identifiable.
- If you step out of a meeting or conference room, take your laptop with you – or it may not be there when you return.
- Carry your laptop in a non-descript carrying case, briefcase or bag. A case designed for computers is a clear signal to thieves that you are carrying a laptop.
- Back up your information regularly and keep the information stored in a safe place.
- Don’t let unaccompanied strangers wander around your workplace. Offer assistance and escort visitors to their destinations.
- Parking garages are common theft locations. Cover your laptop to hide it from view or place it in the trunk.
- If leaving your laptop in the office overnight, place it in a locked cabinet or secure it with a cable lock that wraps around a desk or chair leg.
- Consider purchasing a theft alarm system specifically made for laptops.
- Avoid automatic log-ins. They may be easier, but if your laptop is ever stolen, your information is all the more vulnerable.
10 Tips to Safeguard Laptop Data
Insurance ... simple and done!