Because General Contractors oversee all aspects of residential or commercial construction projects, incuding managing people and materials, they must meet certain legal requirements before earning a general contractor's license.
- Apply for a license with the appropriate state contractor board;
- Pass the appropriate licensing examination
- Pass a criminal background check
- Massachusetts requires general contractors to be properly bonded and insured, including:
- general liability insurance and
- workers’ compensation insurance,
- before beginning work.
- a certificate of insurance as part of the license application.
In Massachusetts, to hold a home improvement contractor or construction supervisor license (or both) issued by the Massachusetts State Board of Building Regulations and Standards, three years of work experience in building construction and a passing score on the licensing exam are required before applying.